Saturday, February 20, 2016

Updates

1. When I lived here before, it took me at least a year, and many bumps on my head, to habitually duck at every doorway. To generalize, Malawians are much shorter than people from places like the USA. Add poverty to that equation and you get tiny doors all over the place. I have the most difficulty with those just shorter than me and above my eyes. I can deal with the slowly progressing bald spot on the top of my head, but right now it’s got a few scabs and bumps on it too. But I’m getting better—only bumped my head once in the past few days. I’ll be ducking through doors for no reason when I get back to the States in a few weeks.

2. If you haven’t already, check out my GoFundMe project: gofund.me/HolySpiritSchool. It’s easier for me to direct you there rather writing about it twice. You could even donate money if you want!

3. [The section has been censored by someone with the new nickname Madame NoFun.]

4. Last week I climbed Nkhoma mountain, which looms over the town and hospital I’m working at. I took a wrong turn and ended up taking a little path the goats use to get to the top, but it was still awesome. This is sort of the view from the top.



5. When I was here before, I went through more than a few bottles of spirits. I’ve never seen AK-47 Vodka (below) until the other day. It’s the cheapest vodka around for good reason.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful photo from the mountain top. I bet that Vodka will make great disinfectant for the cuts you receive on your head in doorways.ha ha.The best education...starts and stays with the parents. No matter where your children go. You are Dad. Therefore, they will have the greatest education. Do not worry about that. I would be more worried about how the culture views women...When I taught at the American International School in Spain. My students' military parents chose the school location because Africa and Mid East were too dangerous for women...especially American women. I am sure times have changed and that is all in the past! Keep up the great work. Can't wait to see you again and hear about your future plans in person. Remember visualizations and gratitude make dreams come true. Matthew 21:22
“And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.”
I love you :) -Aunt Joletta