Thursday, February 25, 2016

The Beginning of CorpsAfrica in Malawi

Last night I had the pleasure of attending the swearing in ceremony for the first cohort of CorpsAfrica Volunteers in Malawi.

You can find many more details at the organization's website (http://www.corpsafrica.org), but my one sentence summary is that it is like the US Peace Corps but they recruit volunteers from within the country (eg. Malawians serving as volunteers in Malawi) instead of Americans going to developing countries like I did in 2008. It's a one year commitment for these inspired young adults. It was started by a former Peace Corps Volunteer that served in Morocco. She naturally started the program in Morocco, and they are just starting to train their third cohort of volunteers. This year they have expanded to two additional countries, Malawi and Senegal. I was amazed to hear today that all of this, including these new activities in Malawi, are being funded by a  Moroccan mining company.

I had a lump in my throat throughout most of the ceremony. I'm very excited to see how these guys do over the next year.
Taking the oath


I had the opportunity to visit their training a few weeks ago and talk with some of them. It's very inspiring to hear about their dreams, and some of their life stories will give you goosebumps. The current director of operations here in Malawi, Adam Gaskins, started his Peace Corps service while I was about half way through mine. It's great to see this old friend leading this group and hopefully taking things to the next level over the next few years. One of the new volunteers is a woman I worked with a lot on a variety of projects when I was here before, and I'm very excited that she has this opportunity to advance her skills and career.

In my humble opinion, community-based, human-centered organizations like this are the antidote to inefficient, obese, authoritarian organizations like USAID and Save the Children (just to name a few).

12 new volunteers cramming a years worth of luggage onto this little
bus before they head to their new homes. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So refreshing to see good people doing hard work to make the World a better place :)

Swimming, biking and running! said...

Great to see this, glad you could attend!

Adam Gaskins said...

How am I just reading this now?! At any rate, it was very fitting that you were able to be there at PST, Swear-In, and even (part) of the journey to their sites. I am trying to keep this thing as close to the experience you and I received during our service, so having you involved definitely helped us keep our "North". I hope married life is treating you well and you are convincing that lovely wife of yours to come back and live in Malawi! Tidzaonana achimwene.