Thursday, September 25, 2008

Thoughts become reality

After worrying, planning, and thinking about what I am getting myself into, the time has finally come for me to get started. My flight leaves tomorrow morning. Here is what my luggage ended up looking like:


In addition to one carry on item (the black duffle bag), we are allowed to have two checked bags (the blue and brown bags) that are supposed to be under 80 pounds total. I was a little worried about this until I finally put everything on the scale and it was well under the limit at around 50 pounds. This may not seem like very much luggage for a 27 month trip, but I can buy a lot of stuff over there as well. It's not like I'm going to the moon. People have been living in Malawi for thousand of years, and I'm sure that I'll be able to get another t-shirt if the two that I am bringing get too many holes in them. But perhaps I shouldn't be so sure of things until I actually get there and check it out for myself.

I found some interesting info at lonelyplanet.com recently. On the South Africa page there is a travel warning: "Criminal gangs are known to operate at airports, bus stations and other transport hubs in South Africa, particularly at Johannesburg International Airport. Muggings and carjackings are regularly reported in Johannesburg's city centre." Yeah, I'll be passing through there in a couple of days; good thing I bought that money belt.

It looks like the internet cafes are outrageously expensive (I think I remember someone saying 8$/hour, which is about a days "allowance") so I don't know how often I'll be able to post or how long the posts will be. One thing I do know is that it is very unlikely that I will have any internet access at all during training. With this, don't be surprised (or worried) if I don't get on here again until December. When it concerns the third world, no news is good news. If you want to get in touch with me your best bet is to ditch the keyboard and write me a letter. Wish me luck, and start making those travel plans to Malawi now- I would be glad to take a few days off to be a tour guide.

No comments: